Atop a scenic hill sits the Grootfontein Museum also known as Das Alte Fort Museum. The building was erected as a fortress by the German Schutztruppe in 1896 and the tower was added in 1904. The fort was declared a national monument in 1975 and houses the museum since 1983. Grootfontein Museum is home to a large mineralogical collection a Himba display traditional tools and artefacts a section about the German Schutztruppe and a complete smithy used in the production of ox-wagons.
Overall the museum exhibits more than 3000 pieces and an outdoor area display a selection of industrial items.